Short and long lease times

Todd Snyder tsnyder at rim.com
Mon Oct 1 15:43:03 UTC 2007

Good day,

I am currently working with a server provisioning system that relies
heavily on DHCP during the install, and we're eating up dhcp pool space
like crazy.  Quickly as I can, I'll describe the setup.

In one subnet (10.whatever) we have our pxe/dhcp/dns/application server.
On another subnet/vlan (172.whatever) we have a number of IBM
BladeCenters filled with an unknown number of blades all booting and
waiting to be provisioned.

The servers boot (with multiple nics), and get an IP address on the
network boot.  They then PXE boot into a provisioning boot disk (Either
WinPE or Gentoo) where they release/renew (multiple nics) in the
provisioning OS.  They then go on install target OS, and again end up
with an IP address (or 2 or 3 or 4 depending on the nics).

What I'd like to do is find a way to say 'dhcp requests from the bios
get short leases' and 'dhcp requests from winpe/gentoo get short leases'
while 'dhcp requests otherwise or from win2k3 server/redhat get longterm
leases'.

I've been doing some reading and I think it's possible to do assignments
based on option strings sent .. So if I could identify somehow each
stage, I could put them in different groups/pools, no?

(sorry if I mix up terminology, I hope it's still clear what I intend).

Thanks for everyones help, in advance.

Todd.