upgrading

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 14:15:24 UTC 2007

Glenn Satchell wrote:

>  >We're running 3.0.1 here and feel it's time to upgrade. We have seen some
>>weird no free leases errors that have caused some problems for us and are
>>hoping an upgrade may help.
>>
>>We are running two servers in peer mode and want to upgrade both servers. I
>>believe we're upgrading to 3.0.6
>>
>>I'm just wondering what the upgrade path should be since we are running the
>>two servers in peer mode. Should we upgrade them at the same time? Can they
>>run in peer mode at different code levels?

>Make a copy of dhcpd.leases on each system in case you need to roll
>back.
>
>You should run the same version on both dhcp servers if you're using
>failover. So shutdown both, uninstall the existing package on each,
>install the new package on each, start them up one after the other.

That's potentially a significant period with no DHCP service. Am I
right in thinking that an alternative could be to :

- shut down the primary and put the secondary in partner down mode
- upgrade the primary and test the config
- shut down the secondary, copy the leases file to primary, start up
the primary & put it in partner down mode
- upgrade secondary, clear it's leases file, and start it

Slightly more work, but only a short interruption in service.