When is DHCPINFORM used

Benjamin Wiechman benw at meltel.com
Wed Oct 31 16:07:15 UTC 2007

I've been reading through the RFC and it seems that a client will send a
DHCPINFORM request if it would like some configuration parameters and has a
static address, or from my experience if it would like some information that
was not provided by the server. If I specify every option that we are
providing to the client, ie, IP, subnet mask, gateway, dns servers, lease
length, domain name, maybe ntp servers, is there a time when the client
would ignore some option such as the gateway address provided during the
discover/offer/request/ack cycle and use an inform to request this
information? Or would a more likely use be a windows client looking for wins
servers or some other information that was not provided initially?

What could potentially be broken if the server does not respond to
DHCPINFORM requests?

I'm trying to understand how the inform fits into the whole picture.

Thanks

Ben Wiechman

Wisper High Speed Internet

Office: 866.394.7737