deny duplicates

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Sep 7 17:48:32 UTC 2007

>Subject: deny duplicates
>Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:27:36 -0600
>From: Nicholas F Miller <Nicholas.Miller at Colorado.EDU>
>
>Has anyone had success implementing 'deny duplicates' or
>'one-lease-per-client' to solve PXE boot systems taking two IPs? I have
>read a bunch of posts on the subject but it seems that no-one has gotten
>it to work.
>
>A machine exhibiting the behavior looks like this:
>
>dhcp log:
>
>lease 10.0.0.1 {
>  starts 3 2007/01/10 23:20:03;
>  ends 4 2007/01/11 00:20:03;
>  tstp 4 2007/01/11 00:20:03;
>  binding state active;
>  next binding state free;
>  hardware ethernet 00:13:72:1f:8f:dd;
>}
>lease 10.0.0.2 {
>  starts 3 2007/01/10 23:20:46;
>  ends 4 2007/01/11 00:20:46;
>  tstp 4 2007/01/11 00:20:46;
>  binding state active;
>  next binding state free;
>  hardware ethernet 00:13:72:1f:8f:dd;
>  uid "\001\000\023r\037\217\335";
>  client-hostname "ECCRNAC-PC51";
>}
>
>'deny duplicates' should solve this but it doesn't seems to be working.
>
>We are running 3.0P2.

>Nicholas Miller, ITS, University of Colorado at Boulder

They're not duplicates. One has a client-id (uid field) and the other
doesn't. That makes them look like different clients to the server.
This is correct behaviour as per the RFC.

There was a patch mentioned the other day that effectively "filled in"
the missing cient-id, or removed it (I forget the exact details, but it
was originally posted some time ago). Only then is the hardware
address used to distinguish the clients.

regards,
-glenn