List etiquette: apology and suggestion

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Sat Sep 15 06:27:49 UTC 2007

To my embarrassment, I've just noticed that I've unwittingly sent
to the list a message intended only for the user of a broken
away-message auto-responder.

I'm sorry for this really embarrassing mistake.

Since I've already 'put my foot in it', it seems no great additional
harm to suggest a systematic method of reminding people to be
considerate to other list users.

On a number of mailing lists I'm subscribed to, a monthly message
is sent to remind me of my subscription, of the 'terms and conditions'
(for example, Section 10 of RFC 2026) which apply, and of any other
information which the list 'owner' sees fit to include.

I'ld find it less obtrusive to have such a reminder automatically
posted to this list quarterly or monthly, than to have useless
messages in various languages daily or more frequently from people
who perhaps just don't know any better.

[ Not to mention misdirected follow-up and subsequent apologies. ]

I suggest including part of the message I sent by mistake to the list
earlier.

There are of course other alternatives, but I expect they would
involve more administrative overhead.

If I'm in a 'minority of one', I'll try to avoid mentioning this
again for at least 12 months.

Once again, please accept my apologies.

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly
	University College Dublin IT Services

	PGP key ID: AE995ED9 (see www.pgp.net)
	Fingerprint: 23DC C6DE 8874 2432 2BE0 3905 7987 E48D AE99 5ED9