Vista doesn't ack dhcp offer

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 19 15:39:25 UTC 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 10:25 AM, Doug Tucker wrote:
> My apologies, I didn't make myself clear.  You are correct, there is
> NOTHING about a broadcast bit issue in regard to the dhcp server.
> Vista
> has changed the client to expect broadcast, as the link to the
> Microsoft
> Knowledge Base article details, and it is the turning off of this in
> the
> registry that fixes the problem for us.  I was trying to tackle it from
> the other perspective since we flatly cannot change registry settings
> in
> every student Vista laptop that comes through the door.  So, by reading
> the man pages, I found a broadcast always setting for dhcpd.conf, and
> my
> understanding of that (and it may be incorrect as it did NOTHING to
> help
> the problem), is that by setting that, it would tell the dhcp server to
> send the offer in broadcast instead of unicast, what I thought the
> Vista
> client was expecting.  Again though, this did not fix our issue.
>
> While we do have dhcp relay on our routers for the rest of the network,
> the network in question is our wireless network, which is segregated.
> Clients connect to access points that do not do dhcp.  DHCP is done on
> the gateway/router for the subnet, which is a debian linux box running
> 3.0.4 isc dhcp.  So in this case, all clients are on the same subnet as
> the dhcp server.

What IP address is the linux dhcp server using as its broadcast address?
For example, is it 255.255.255.255?  Using tcpdump to verify this point
would be useful.

I would want it to be broadcasting to 255.255.255.255, which is what, at
our site, we have our dhcp relays set to broadcast to.

John Wobus
Cornell University