Vista doesn't ack dhcp offer

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Sep 20 22:38:01 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 04:38:43PM -0500, Doug Tucker wrote:
> Last ditch effort here, we're going to upgrade the kernel on the box since
> it has not been done in some time, and hope there is something odd about
> the existing kernel causing the problem.  I will update tomorrow morning
> after the upgrade.

I don't think that will change anything, as I don't think you have
given any evidence that points to a failure on the debian machine.

'dump.txt' shows DHCPOFFERs coming out of the debian box.

'client_dump.txt' shows no DHCPOFFERs arriving at the client's
doorstep.

There's a black hole somewhere between these two eating the packets.

The thing to do here is to interpolate through the ethernet path
between the server and client with a sniffer.  Try in the middle,
then work towards or away from the server depending on wether you
see the DHCPOFFERs there.  When you can sniff on two sides of one
hop and observe the black hole these packets are falling into, you
will know what device to question, replace, or reconfigure.

I suspect you will find that it is some device that thinks it is
doing you a favor - improving security, performance, or both - by
playing games with what kinds of packet are allowed to be broadcast
and in what direction.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/