lease file parsing

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 06:45:03 UTC 2007

Elliot Finley wrote:

>  >>I'm writing a script to give me some stats on my leases.  I've found
>>>that there are no leases marked abandoned but I've found that there
>>>are IPs that aren't in the lease file at all (that are in my
>>>configured ranges).  If an IP is not in the lease file, is it
>  >>considered abandoned?

>  >It may not have been assigned or used by any client yet.

>I don't buy that because when I first fired up the server with an
>empty lease file, all the IPs in my configured ranges were added with
>a state of 'free'.
>
>Anyone know the answer to this without guessing?

If a lease is abandoned then it WILL appear marked as such. All the
installations I've ever done have NOT filled the leases file with all
configured addresses, they've only appeared once there's been a state
change on them - so I don't know what's going on there. The answers
you've been given so far are from people who don't have to guess !

What version are you using ?
Plain vanilla or got any patches applied ?
Using Failover ?