Linux clients working, XP not.

Jamie Savage jsavage at yorku.ca
Fri Apr 11 17:15:21 UTC 2008

Hi,
    I'm not sure if the situations are exactly the same but I had the same
issue a few weeks ago.  MACs and LINUX obtained IPs with no problem but XP
machines failed.  We have Cisco gear and I was using DHCP-relay.  The
solution to my problem (and hopefully yours) was provided by David
Hankins.   He advised the following;

'first thing to check; do you have 'ip broadcast-address' configured
on the first Cisco with the ip-helper set up?

Windows boxes, when they receive broadcasts, are very conservative in
what they receive; it MUST be sent to 255.255.255.255 as dictated in
rfc2131, and cisco relays in this configuration will use the
configured broadcast address instead.'

In my case I had config'd an 'ip broadcast-address' statement on the
router port.  This meant that the response went back to 1.2.3.4.255 rather
than 255.255.255.255

MACs and LINUX are happy seeing either response but Windows (as David
pointed out) absolutely needs to see a broadcast to 255.255.255.255

.........hope this helps (with thanks to David
again)..........................J

James Savage                                   York University
Senior Communications Tech.       108 Steacie Building
jsavage at yorku.ca                            4700 Keele Street
ph: 416-736-2100 ext. 22605            Toronto, Ontario
fax: 416-736-5701                                M3J 1P3, CANADA

"Jeff Sumner" <Jeff.Sumner at nationalcity.com>
Sent by: dhcp-users-bounce at isc.org
04/11/2008 12:04 PM
Please respond to
dhcp-users at isc.org

dhcp-users at isc.org
cc

Subject
Linux clients working, XP not.

Folks,

Can someone point me to any documentation for troubleshooting why Linux
clients would work with a particular configuration from an implementation
of
ISC DHCP but XP clients won't?

I see packets coming in and going out of the DHCP server via a sniffer,
but
the XP clients won't send an ACK, where the Linux boxes will.

The XP clients don't get addresses.

I'm poking around Google, and see several instances of folks having
problems
with this, but no fixes are listed- the threads just die off. It seems
that
sometimes XP reboots fix the trouble, but that's not helping here. Again,
Linux guests work fine, to the point of DDNS working extremely well.

Someone brought an XP workstation into the lab and suddenly, we have a
troubleshooting opportunity!

Server versions tried are DHCP3.1.1rc1, 3.1.0 and 3.0.6. Host is AIX 5.1
and
built with GCC.

Network is private, 192.168.0. Many options defined, but nothing seems to
get the XP boxes to ACK.

***National City made the following annotations
This communication is a confidential and proprietary business
communication.
It is intended solely for the use of the designated recipient(s).  If this
communication is received in error, please contact the sender and delete
this communication.