Excluding a range from a subnet

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Apr 23 13:59:37 UTC 2008

That is correct. A fixed-address that happens to be in a dynamic range
could get allocated dynamically if the ping-before-offer doesn't get a
response. reserved leases and host statements require that you know the
mac address of the client.

The tidy way to do this is to migrate the fixed addresses so that they
are not scattered through the subnet. This may not be possible of
course.

Otherwise you will need to do multiple range statements for each subnet.

regards,
-glenn

>Subject: RE: Excluding a range from a subnet
>Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:26:20 -0400
>From: "Randall C Grimshaw" <rgrimsha at syr.edu>
>
>That is how I understand it.
>I will recommend that you build some form of IP management database, and then
essentially build the dhcpd.conf file from that. A database will help you track
the reserved addresses over time.

>Randy

Olivier Bax de Keating
>Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 9:02 AM
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: RE: Excluding a range from a subnet
>
>Just to be sure,
>
>If I declare a host, with an ip and a mac address, the ip won't be reserved,
that means, if in a subnet I declare a range containing that ip, it may be
attributed dynamically? I would have to segment my ranges as in your example to
be sure that my server won't propose this "reserved ip".

>Thanks for all
>
>Olivier

John Hascall