DHCP client how to make it pose as windows dhcp client

Arup Malakar amalakar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 06:21:46 UTC 2008

Hello dhcp-users,

The isp dhcp server doesn't offer me network details if I am requesting it
from Linux.  If I request the same from windows it happily grants me
ip address along with other details. Is their a way I could configure
dhclient to pose as windows so that the isp doesn't know I am on linux and
grants me ip address.

I am using Reliance, WiMax. Where the basestation is connected to an
antenna, and I connect my laptop using a lan chord to the base station.
I first need to get the network configuration using dhcp and then
authenticate in the ISP's web interface. But when I am on Linux acquiring
network address using dhcp client
itself fails. I tried the following configuration in
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

interface "eth0" {
     send dhcp-client-identifier 1:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;
     send dhcp-lease-time 86400;
     send vendor-class-identifier "MSFT 5.0";
 }

Where XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX is the mac address of the ethernet card. I tried
this configuration
both in Ubuntu Gutsy, Debian Etch but no luck till now. I am desperate to
get internet connection on
my linux boxes. I would appreciate any help/pointer.

Thanks and Regards,
Arup Malakar