BOOTP from dynamic client and no dynamic leases

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Aug 11 16:38:52 UTC 2008

>Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:12:29 -0600
>From: "Andrew Falanga" <af300wsm at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: BOOTP from dynamic client and no dynamic leases
>
>On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Glenn Satchell
><Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au> wrote:
>

>> "BOOTP from dynamic client and no dynamic leases,"
>>
>> I think that answers the question. You have no dynamic range, by
>> design. And there is a dynamic client requesting an address, so it is
>> likely to be one that does not correspond to and of the 'hardware
>> ethernet' lines.
>>
>> What is the mac address that is logged in syslog for that request? Is
>> it supposed to be one of yours? Or is it every other host on the
>> network?
>>
>> If the latter then you may get around it by changing 'deny
>> unknown-clients' to 'ignore unknown-clients'. The difference is that
>> the latter does not log the fact that the client was denied.
>>

>Ok, I've verified the MAC address is for one of my listed hosts.

Well then I'd check that I don't have a typo or error in the host
entry. dhcpd's syntx checking is not perfect, and sometimes
misspellings will be parsed as a variable defintion or something.

>  One
>question I have that I'm not sure about is this, are the host entries
>supposed to be within the subnet block, or does that not matter?  I've
>been reading through manual pages and I haven't read anything that
>would say the host entries are to be within a subnet block, but I
>wanted to make sure.

There was a good response to this type of question by Simon Hobson
earlier today. Host statements are global in scope, but they inherit
form the subnet where the IP address lives. This means that they will
still work, even when defined in the "wrong" subnet. However they will
also inherit settings from the subnet where they are defined. You can
see how this could make a client not work properly.

So the general rule is to always define host statements outside the
subnets.

>So, since this MAC is listed in my dhcpd file what could the reason
>this doesn't want to grant the IP?  Should I list as a range, the IP
>addresses that I have?

If you have a fixed-address statement you don't need a range. range is
for dynamically assigned addresses.

Can you post just the host definition for the host with the error,
along with a couple of the log entries?  Perhaps a few more eyeballs
looking at your conf will see something...

regards,
-glenn