Multiple DHCP servers on same host???!!!

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Aug 12 13:06:42 UTC 2008

>Subject: Multiple DHCP servers on same host???!!!
>Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:12:14 +0530
>To: <dhcp-users at isc.org>
>
>Hi,
>Is it possible to run multiple DHCP servers on same host?
>Iam trying to have a single machine ( with 3 network cards) and I want
>to run 3 ISC DHCPV4 servers. These DHCP servers would be having
>different conf files and lease files.
>
>I started the servers with the following commands
>
>./dhcpd -cf dhcpd.conf -lf dhcpd.leases eth0
>./dhcpd -cf dhcpd1.conf -lf dhcpd1.leases eth1
>./dhcpd -cf dhcpd2.conf -lf dhcpd2.leases eth2
>
>When I tried this with DHCP server 3.07, I got an error saying " An
>instance is already running " for the second command. First server was
>running successfully.
>
>Thanks in advance for your response.
>
>Regards,
>Vidhya

The pid files are clashing, so you also need -pf pid-file on the
command line too. Try  man dhcpd

BTW you can specify lease-file and pid-file in the dhcpd.conf which
means it's less likely to get confused. The exact syntax is in the
dhcpd.conf man page.

But the question you should really ask is why do you want three
instances of dhcpd?

You can have three subnet declarations in dhcpd.conf, different lease
times, routers, and any other parameters per subnet. In fact there are
people om this list (not me) who have thousands of subnets.

regards,
-glenn