leases based on MAC address

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 21:06:10 UTC 2008

Elliot Finley wrote:

>I know there have been patches in the past for this, but after several
>hours on google, I've been unable to find one.

Going back to Dec 2006 :
http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi/dhcp/
No idea if it's still valid.

>I need to be able to disregard the client-identifier when handing out
>leases.  I want to have everything based on MAC address.
>
>I have lots of clients that have changing client-identifiers and thus
>changing IPs, but their MAC remains the same.
>
>If you have or know of a patch to accomplish this, I would appreciate
>any pointers.
>
>TIA
>Elliot
>
>P.S.  This would be a valuable option to have in the standard
>distribution.

It would, and at one time it was planned to make the primary key
admin definable. It would default to "pick first value
(client-id,hardware)" which is what it is now, but you could redefine
it if required.

It didn't make it into the current release, but I think Ted said it's
still in the "requested features" list.