Best practice for defining static IP addresses?

Shawn Holland sholland at sandara.ca
Wed Aug 20 20:00:45 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have read the link in this thread and it is the same scenario I have.
However, the only requirement I have different is that I need a DHCPNAK
to be sent out.

My dhcpd.conf has:

         subnet 10.250.15.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
                pool {
                        deny unknown-clients;
                        range 10.250.15.2 10.250.15.254;
                        option domain-name-servers 10.250.15.1;
                        option dhcp-server-identifier 10.250.15.1;
                        option routers 10.250.15.1;
                        default-lease-time 600;
                        max-lease-time 1200;

I have host declarations:

host 001B9E8A711A {
        hardware ethernet 00:1B:9E:8A:71:1A;
        fixed-address 10.250.15.2;
}

However I want to be able to remove that declaration at any time,
restart dhcpd and have the pool send a DHCPNAK so the client will do a
new DHCPDISCOVER.

As of right now if I set it up properly and exclude the 10.250.15.2
address from the pool range it does not send a DHCPNAK to the client
that does a DHCPREQUEST for 10.250.15.2.

The reason is I have a default pool I want them to fail over to if their
static host entry is removed.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Shawn