Multi-subnet DHCP

Jeff Anderson jefferya at programmerq.net
Fri Aug 22 22:11:00 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have an existing network with several subnets/vlans/whatever.

Up until recently, we kept track of all the hosts by mac address and
assigned leases that way. It worked beautifully.

We now want to add a couple subnets that will need dynamic addresses
(think guests that get on a wifi during a presentation).

We added the first dynamic range and it appeared to work fine. The
bahaviour that we're seeing is any piece of hardware that is connected
anywhere on any subnet is getting an address from this dynamic pool
because it doesn't match any of the mac addresses defined in our config
file. This is mostly an annoyance, but it really would be nice to assign
an address from a dynamic range that gets forwarded through the
corresponding router. It appears that the dhcp server is aware of (and
logs) how each request is forwarded to it. Is there a way to force the
behaviour of our server to only give out useful dynamic addresses based
on the router it is received through?

If an example or clarification is needed, let me know.

Thanks!

Jeff Anderson