Brother printer and option "routers"

doug rorem rorem at ai.uic.edu
Fri Dec 12 13:58:35 UTC 2008

Tina Siegenthaler wrote:

> Am 12.12.2008 um 12:37 schrieb Tina Siegenthaler:
>
>> Hi list
>>
>> I'm having a problem with a Brother L-5250DN network printer which is
>> not accepting ther "routers" option from my DHCP server. The
>> printer's boot method is set to "DHCP", and indeed it gets a valid IP
>> and the correct subnet mask, but it always sets the gateway to
>> 0.0.0.0. Which means that no one outside of the printer's subnet can
>> print to it. All other network devices in that subnet set the
>> "routers" option correctly, just not that printer. Has anyone seen
>> anything similar? I'set the printer's IP etc. manually for now, but
>> I'd rather have it use DHCP.
>>
>> Ah yes, my dhcpd version is 3.1.1. If you need the config file, just
>> tell me, and I'll post it.
>>
>> TIA, Tina
>>

> Well, in fact this is true for all our Brother printers (been having a
> look at them). All of them are on DHCP, all of them get an IP and the
> proper subnet mask (which is also provided by the DHPC server), but
> they obviously refuse to accept the router address. Any idea why?
>
> Tina
Tina,

I'm using a Brother HL1870N printer and it accepts the gateway address
via ISC DHCP Server V3.0.6 (running on Ubuntu 8.04):

***

I got these settings by telneting to my printer
and using 'access' as the password (its the default)

show ip

IP is Enabled
IP address    192.168.1.30              Boot tries    3
Subnet mask   255.255.255.0             Boot method   DHCP
IP Gateway    192.168.1.10              Max window    4096
 (via DHCP 192.168.1.10)
LPD banner    Disabled                  Timeout       60 min
LPD retry     Enabled
LPD type      TYPE1

 Service
   BRN_346541_P1
Port      TCP port
 P1         9100

Local>

[you can get the same info by going to the printer's webpage
and looking at network -> configure TCP/IP (in my case)]
***

Regards,
Doug Rorem