upgrading dhcpd from 3.0.5 to 3.1.x

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Dec 5 13:01:51 UTC 2008

>Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 22:54:45 +1100 (EST)
>From: Glenn Satchell <Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au>
>Subject: Re: upgrading dhcpd from 3.0.5 to 3.1.x
>To: dhcp-users at lists.isc.org
>

>>Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:07:03 -0600
>>From: Joe in MPLS <joe at gracenpeace.net>
>>To: dhcp-users at lists.isc.org
>>Subject: upgrading dhcpd from 3.0.5 to 3.1.x
>>
>>I am running a failover pair of dhcp servers. One server is FreeBSD 6.3
>>STABLE with dhcpd V3.0.5RC2, and the other is FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE running
>>dhcpd V3.0.5.
>>
>>I want to upgrade these servers to dhcpd V3.1.1.1 (the latest in the
>>FreeBSD ports collection). How do I determine if my existing config
>>files and lease files are fully compatible with the new version? README
>>and RELNOTES are silent on this.
>>
>>"RELNOTES" says the failover mechanism is "significantly enhanced". Is
>>it compatible with the older version? I'd like to avoid the risk
>>involved in upgrading both servers simultaneously.
>>
>>             TIA   ...jgm

And to answer the second point. The failover protocol is not guaranteed
to be compatible between different versions, so you need to upgrade
both pretty much at the same time. A few minutes difference is probably
going to be ok.

man dhcpd.conf

DHCP FAILOVER
     If you wish
     to use the failover protocol, make sure that  both  failover
     peers are running the same version of the ISC DHCP server.

regards,
-glenn