Failover xid mismatch errors

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Dec 17 21:37:52 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 01:47:54PM -0700, commo dore wrote:
> I get alot of "bind update on #{Someip} got ack from dhcp-failover: xid
> mismatch." errors
> What causes these?  everything seems to work normaly.

It's cosmetic.

I put the logline in because it's a funny deep situation inside the
failover protocol, and I couldn't figure out if it could ever happen.

We've seen a lot of these now, and they're all situations where the
server updates a lease, sends a BNDUPD, updates the lease again before
the ACK, and sends a BNDUPD again.  The xid mismatch is because the
first BNDUPD gets BNDACK'd, and it's /correctly/ ignoring the ack.

I plan to silence the log line in maint at some point.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/