Proxy by dhcpd that don't work ?

Alex Sharaz A.Sharaz at hull.ac.uk
Tue Feb 5 11:08:40 UTC 2008

I'm having problems with this as well. Up till Friday I had

option wpad-curl "http://wpad.hull.ac.uk/wpad.dat\n";

Which seemed  to work for 99.9% of IE clients and never worked for
firefox/Mozilla clients.

On Friday I changed the string termination to be \000 to see if we'd
sort out the last .1% of users. Seems to have been a mistake cos our
helpdesk had quite a few calls from users saying that their internet
access had stopped.

Going back to the \n version seems to have fixed things.

In terms of accessing wpad.hull.ac.uk, What i've got is a foundry
networks serveriron hardware load balancer platform with 3 real servers
sitting behind them. Wpad.hull... is set up as a virtual host on the
real servers and the serveriron load balances requests to the 3 real
servers. As a catch all, there is a default web server running on each
of the 3 real servers in case someone tries to get the wpad.dat by
calling http://150.237.47.203/wpad.dat

What i've found is that all the Mozilla/firefox traffic seems to go to
the default server and not the wpad.hull .. virtual host.

There's also a lot of other things out there that seem to go for the
ipaddress/wpad.dat url as well.

In general once you've applied all the service packs to a windoze
machine this "just work" but  we do have some systems that just refuse
point blank to work with auto detect proxy settings.

Alex