DHCP Server on an Wireless Bridge

Vincent Arniego vincent_arniego at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 09:59:21 UTC 2008

then
complaining
when
other
stuff
doesn't
work
!

[va] I'm not complaining that DHCP doesn't work. I know that DHCP just reads the CHADDR instead of the mac in the ethernet header. I'm just asking if there's some other way to get that MAC and do something with DHCP to do that. And I think that's already answered -- NO.

Duplicate
MACs
-
yes
it
happens
(rarely),
so
track
down
the
subscriber(s)
and
have
them
fix
their
kit.
Not
sure
who
they
are
(you
SHOULD
know)
then
just
block
that
MAC
and
wait
till
they
ring
you
!

[va] they would ring, but I dont want to hear a 'ringer' at the end.
I do hope you read about stupid customers at some tech support jokes site,
there are subs here that are worst than that. Most subs here just want their connection fixed, without them doing anything. But rest assured there are separate efforts to curb that problem -- not my own effort.
Oh yeah, I have to disagree with the rarely happening duplicate MACs, we have a single mac with over 200 subs having it.

And
as
for
monitoring
base
station
usage
-
try
management
tools.
I'd
be
REALLY
surprised
if
these
units
don't
have
some
very
useful
values
available
by
SNMP,
I'd
be
even
more
surprised
if
one
of
these
didn't
allow
you
monitor
number
of
users.
In
situation
like
that,
I'd
be
looking
collect
and
store
that
information
as
part
of
the
management
process
(look
at
graph,
see
number
of
subscribers
going
up,
alert
management
that
base
is
heading
for
overload
-
for
example).

[va] yeah we have snmp but just trust me that its very very challenging task to monitor the subs when the MAC is not translated.

>Can
you
put
relay
device
behind
the
bridge
and
use
that
forward
>the
dhcp
requests?
For
example,
using
router
or
computer
running
>dhcrelay?
Can
the
"bridge"
function
as
dhcp
relay?
Can
you
tell
us
>what
vendor/model
the
"bridge"
is?

>[va]
Motorola
Canopy,
option
82
is
not
yet
built
in,
but
we
might
>ask
them
include
it.

That
wasn't
the
question
!
But
now
we
see
what
the
bridge
is
doing,
we
can
see
that
the
answer
is
no.

[va] Hopefully its not. I do hope they do have some kind.

OK,
supplementary
question
-
how
do
you
identify
subscribers
?
As
in,
how
do
you
admit
only
those
people
that
are
paying
you
for
(or
are
authorised
use)
the
service
?

[va] We developed an in-house system. So far so good, except on that duplicate mac though.

[va] Anyhow I think I got my answer already. Thanks everyone.