Thoughts on dhcp-client automatically determining the hostname?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Feb 11 17:49:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 05:50:38PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> I agree. Are there plans to implement it?

it's not as easy as doing the hostname() built-in function, so there
are no plans for a pipe-like thing i'm aware of.

> It'd still be nice if the host name was send by default though. What
> are the disadvantages of doing that?

it's essentially a leakage of privacy information, so i'm
uncomfortable with making that decision in the code.  this is the sort
of thing that should be decided in integrating the dhclient into an
OS; who is your user and what do they expect?

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/