Watching performance on a DHCP Server

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Mon Feb 11 18:49:51 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: Watching performance on a DHCP Server
From: Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek at gmail.com>
To: dhcp-users at isc.org
Date: Monday, February 11, 2008 11:21:01 AM
> Blake Hudson wrote:
>
>> rapidly (keeping IP pool usage as low as possible). The main
>> advantage to longer lease times being load on the DHCP server. If I
>>

> Load?
> Isn't that only really an issue when you have a lot of clients (1000+
> or 10000+)?
>
> Olaf

You may want to review the thread from the beginning. My network
currently has 10,000+ DHCP clients (and I plan on accommodating double
that within the lifetime of this server). I have a beefy server (4x
3.0GHz Xeon, 2x 15k RAID1) and it was only able to reliably handle 10 to
20 4-way discover handshakes a second, 2-way handshakes were maybe
double or triple those numbers. When pounded by DHCP requests, it's
possible that even less are processed in a timely manner due to
collisions, timeouts, etc.

The potential convergence time concerns me if there were an enterprise
wide prolonged outage. Increasing the lease time means less leases
processed on a regular basis (not as much of a concern) as well as
reducing the need for a 4 way handshake and being able to use a 2 way
handshake if a prolonged outage occurs (my main concern I'd like to
accommodate).

-Blake