Host configuration

Todd Snyder tsnyder at rim.com
Tue Feb 12 19:24:25 UTC 2008

I would argue, from my admittedly limited experience, that having an
entire data centres function relying on the continued functionality of a
single box/service when not necessary is a risk, one that I wouldn't
necessarily see people wanting to take.  However, it would appear I'm
wrong in that respect.

My thinking is that it would be best to statically assign ips to the
core servers, to ensure that boxes will boot and be useful without
relying on an external service (other than the network, which is a
given).

I've just had too many bad experiences (Windows related mostly, but
Linux as well) where servers don't behave reliably with DHCP, and behave
very very badly in the absense of that service (ie: hanging on boot
until an IP is present .. Sendmail, I'm looking at you).

My $0.02CDN

Todd.