upgrading dhcp-version

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Feb 17 11:18:44 UTC 2008

>Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:55:04 +0100
>From: "Tom Schmitt" <TomSchmitt at gmx.de>
>Subject: upgrading dhcp-version
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm running two DHCP-servers in failovermode with ISC-DHCP v 3.0.3
>Now a want to switch to a newer stable version of the software.
>
>First question:
>It is better to switch to version 3.1.0 or to version 4.0? (I do not
>use any IPv6 nor will I do this in the at least three next years)
>

>Second question:
>Is there any kind of best practice how to switch to a newer version
>without having trouble serving the DHCP-service? (And to take over all
>host definitions from the old server to the new one)

Hi Tom

I haven't tried this with 4.x, but upgrading between 3.x versions is
simply a matter of shutting down dhcpd, installing the new version,
and start it up. The new version will upgrade any required fields in
dhcpd.leases. I suspect 4.x would also behave in this manner.

You can use dhcpd -t to test dhcpd.conf syntax, and dhcpd -T to test
dhcpd.leases syntax.

As you are using failover, you should shut down both partners, upgrade
dhcpd, and then start them up. As the config files ar enot changing,
the order in which they are started does not matter.

Note that it may indeed be possible to upgrade them one at a time, if
the network failover protocol is compatible. A question for the
developers I think.

regards,
-glenn