Strange Forward Map Updates

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Fri Feb 22 18:18:50 UTC 2008

	While checking to see why a program that reads syslog
output started suddenly failing after no problems before, I
found a partial answer. Buried in a huge syslog file is this line
which absolutely blows lots of stuff sky high. The line follows
to the point where the binary junk starts:

Feb 21 00:02:32 landlord dhcpd: Added new forward map from

Where the host name should be, is a spew of hex FF's and then
our default domain name.

	I think the device registering is broken because
everything above and below it is perfectly normal and the name,
itself was normal after the host portion.

	Is there anything I can do to protect scripts and other
programs that read syslog data from this? The effect was to make
the program in question to see it as an EOF.

	I had been trying to figure out why a MAC address
tracker I wrote started mysteriously failing around January 25.
That appears to be when the big spew device started showing up.
It may be an IP phone.

	Thanks for any ideas.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer