exclude addresses

Sten Carlsen sten at s-carlsen.dk
Thu Jan 10 08:08:58 UTC 2008

I would say that it depends on the actual network setup and size. In my
case I have a small ntwork and there is no router I could use for that.
I also want this to be a "catch all" solution, so if you are not known
you get no real access even if you have not been seen before.

In your case I understand there is a big network with routers you can
use, so that is one obvious solution.

It depends on the situation also, is this a device that should not be in
the network and that you can not remove physically? Is it operated by
some smart guy, then he could just give it a new MAC address, that would
take a few minutes in most cases. If it is a laptop, you would have to
block that MAC in all routers.

On the other hand it has to be a very large network to actually use all
the space in the private ranges, 10.x.x.x alone is 16mill addresses. Or
a very large assignment for every subnet.

You could use some of the bogon addresses and filter for those
(http://www.cymru.com/Bogons/). Using such an address would also
minimise the access it could get to the world.

As mentioned the cure depends on the task.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: