exclude addresses

Ron Croonenberg ronc at depauw.edu
Thu Jan 10 15:51:28 UTC 2008

Oh I know it is not a security protocol.  I just want to know  who/where
it is.  There is not too much one effectively can do about someone
hooking a machine up to a datajack

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Ron Croonenberg wrote:
>
>> I tried assigning  0.0.0.0   and 169.254.x.y   but somehow that client
>> sees that it is a 'worthless' address ad keeps using the old address
>> it 'stole'.
>>
>> I noticed that with 'deny booting'  it uses the old address too even
>> after trying to get an address with dhcp
>
> Don't forget that DHCP is NOT a security protocol - you CANNOT prevent
> someone using your network with DHCP alone. As you have observed, there
> is nothing to stop a client using whatever address it likes and ignore
> the DHCP server.

  Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                    | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
  Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
          Technology Coordinator    |

  Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: ronc at DePauw.edu
  DePauw University                 |
  275 Julian Science & Math Center  |
  602 South College Ave.            |
  Greencastle, IN  46135            |