What causes "balancing pool" messages ?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Jan 10 19:54:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 02:22:53PM -0500, Denis Laventure wrote:
> Is it possible to hide those messages from the log with an option or
> command line argument?

The balancing logs are made at INFO level, so you can tell syslog not
to log it, or log it elsewhere.

But there's a lot of other stuff logged at INFO level you might want
to keep.

This isn't really as flexible as we'd like it, and the way DHCP does
logging like this in general is something we want to look at someday.

> I have 2897 pool that get balanced every time I reload the dhcp server
> and every hour.

If you want the balancing to happen every hour but not tell you the
results there aren't a lot of tools available...if your experience is
that the balancing events don't do anything, or weren't necessary, you
could raise the maximum limit on the rebalance intervals (I forget the
config syntax, check dhcpd.conf manpage), but this means the balancing
runs will happen less frequently as well.

--
Ash bugud-gul durbatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Why settle for the lesser evil?	 https://secure.isc.org/store/t-shirt/