Using option-119/RFC3397 in DHCP 3.1.0

Andrew Pollock apollock at debian.org
Sun Jan 13 17:08:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 02:40:53AM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to have a play around with the new domain search path support
> that is allegedly in DHCP 3.1.0, but I'm really fumbling around in the dark.
> The RFC doesn't go into implementation detail, and I haven't seen anything
> in the included documentation.
>
> So far, I've tried putting
>
> option domain-search-order code 119 = string;
>
> in my dhcpd.conf and then
>
> option domain-search-order "acme.com";
>
> in one of my subnet declarations, but a packet capture shows no evidence of
> it being sent out when a lease is obtained. I'm not at all sure how to make
> the DHCP client request a custom option.
>
> Any pointers appreciated.

So I must be missing something here.

I've just tried this with DHCP 3.0.6 (client and server) and got the same
results as with 3.1.0 (client and server).

On the server, I put:

option domain-search code 119 = string;

and in a subnet:

option domain-search "andrew.net.au debian.org linux.org.au";

On the client, I put:

option domain-search code 119 = string;

and added domain-search to the list of options requested.

Then, in a hook that just spits out environment variables, I could see an
old_domain_search and a new_domain_search set. Even with 3.0.6.

So I'm inclined to think that I'm doing this the wrong way, or I'm defining
the domain-search option incorrectly in the server or something.

regards

Andrew