Biggest installation of ISC DHCP?

Nick Urbanik nicku at nicku.org
Fri Jan 18 20:02:35 UTC 2008

Dear Folks,

On 18/01/08 12:04 +0100, Alfred Nagl wrote:
>On Friday 18 January 2008 10:33, Nick Urbanik wrote:
>> On 18/01/08 16:06 +0800, Aggarwal Vivek-Q4997C wrote:
>> >
>> >Can you please tell that how many requests for IP Address can be
>> >processed by ISC DHCP Server in one second for subscriber base
>> >mentioned below?
>>
>> Well, this is just DHCPACK messages.  This rate is roughly equal to
>> the rate of DHCPREQUEST + rate of DHCPLEASEQUERY messages.
>> prim1:
>>     Avg: 3322.80 messages/min
>>     Max: 6483.69 messages/min
>> sec1:
>>     DHCPACK
>>     Avg: 3608.27 messages/min
>>     Max: 7260.80 messages/min
>
>Many thanks for giving out these numbers from a real-world
>installation. While you are at it, I would be really grateful if you
>could give some rough figures about the underlying hardware, software
>and load etc.

All dual 2.4GHz Xeons, four with 36G SCSI, two with 40 G IDE disks,
RAM upgraded this week from 1G to 2G for the four biggest.

Plan to migrate the two biggest pairs to four pairs.

Software:
OS: RH Linux

ISC dhcp with our own LDAP patch, and the "next file" patch (see
http://nicku.org/software/) so that there is no need to restart the
servers except for dhcpd.conf changes.
Various log tailers to gather statistics and lease details all written
in Perl.
Nick Urbanik   RHCE         http://nicku.org        nicku at nicku.org