PB with bind, DHCP, and mail client Evolution

stephane lepain penguindeb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:11:20 UTC 2008

HI Glenn,

Thank you for your response.

You need to do some basic troubleshooting here. It is not obvious
whether this is a DHCP problem or not. So you need to go through this
step by step:

I guess you are right in saying that.

1. On the shiby new dns server can you resolve the ISPs pop system
> using the local dns server:
>
>   nslookup
>   >server 127.0.0.1
>   >pop.isp.com
I have run the tests and I have got no pb at all there. No error
message whatesoever.

2. Check the settings on the client, is it getting an IP address ok?
> What about the dns server setting? If windows, then you can use
> "ipconfig /all" to see settings for IP address, DNS server, domain,
> etc. If it's Unix or Linux then check /etc/resolv.conf for settings
> that specify the nameserver with the right IP address.

Yes, all the clients (static and nomads)  are getting IP addresses ok.
 I checked the resolv.conf on the server and the clients (static
clients) as well. Nothing worng as well on that side.

. Check for any other restrictions by using telnet to connect to the
> pop account.

I can connect via telnet fine. I have got any problems there.

See, everything is working fine and that is why I think I have got a
misconfiguration  either on my dhcp server or my dns server.  The
problem is persistent on Evolution client email.
I going back to my drawing board that is going to be a tough one to
crack though as I haven't anything to work on.

One quick question, since I have put in my dhcp
"ddns-update-style;none" could that be a problem with my ISP and my
local DNS server. Saying that it wouldn't be able to do update on DNS
on therefore the mails wouldn't be able to find its way??

Cheers Glenn