[v6] Beginner with fixed-address6

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Jan 25 12:39:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:28:31PM +0100,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote
 a message of 33 lines which said:

> > 	DHCP's main usefulness is in obviating (the cost of) a visit
> > 	to the client.
>
> At the present time, the only solution I see which fits this
> requirment is to use tcpdump when the client boots to see its DUID and
> then ask your favorite co-worker to write a Perl one-liner to
> translate tcpdump's output to the syntax expected by ISC DHCP.

I forgot: and be prepared to do it again the next time the sysadmin of
the client deletes the leases file or upgrade the DHCP client in a way
that resets the leases file (since the time of start is stored here).