How to identify a client?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Jul 7 08:39:46 UTC 2008

Hi Tom,

The client identifier is completely up to the client to transmit. As far as the
server is concerned it should treat it as an opaque object, ie not try to decode
what is inside it because one client may behave differently to another.
Currently only the microsoft windows client transmits a client id and
it uses the mac address as the identifier. Most (in practise all I
think) other clients do not transmit another client bydefault. However
most can be configured to send a pre-defined string as the identifier.

If the wireless and wired lans are different subnets, you could still
create hosts statements for each of the mac addresses that had the same
name, even if the IP addresses are different.

If you don't know the mac addresses in advance how can you assume that
some wireless client with the same name is the same client? Another
system could spoof the hostname very easly.

Doesn't appear to be a really simple solution here, apart from
gathering all the mac addresses up front somehow.

regards,
-glenn

>Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 09:02:15 +0200
>From: "Tom Schmitt" <TomSchmitt at gmx.de>
>Subject: Re: How to identify a client?
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>
>Hi,
>
>thank you for your answer. Your first solution doesn't work for me, because I
have several different subnets. So I can't give the client the same IP-Address
in different subnets.
>As a second point I don't know all the MAC-addresses before the clients is
connected to the network.

>Your second solution I don't understand completly: Is the DHCP-identifier from
the clilent the same, even if the MAC-address is changed?