TTL when updating via DDNS

Marc Muehlfeld Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de
Thu Jul 10 06:57:04 UTC 2008

Glenn Satchell schrieb:
> Are these clients mentioned above able to ping the dhcp server? This is
> required as the dhcp renewal messages are sent directly to the dhcp
> server rather than using the dhcp relays.

Yes. All clients can reach the dhcp server via tcp/udp/icmp.

> Can you post the 192.168.29.0 subnet definition?

subnet 192.168.29.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
         option domain-name "ctl.mr.lfmg.de";
         option broadcast-address 192.168.29.255;
         option routers 192.168.29.5;

         pool {
                 range 192.168.29.100;

The 29er network is only for servers. There are no dhcp clients. But I had to
define at least one IP in a range statement, otherwise dhcpd complained.

 > Does the same behaviour apply for hosts with static and
 > dynamic addresses?

Hosts with static or static-via-dhcp addresses stay allways in the zonefiles.
Dhcpd don't touch them. But they were not added automatically. This ones I had
to add by hand.

Regards
Marc