bestway to recover from a MAN made problem...

Luis Fernando Lacayo lflacayo at cps.k12.il.us
Thu Jul 10 16:29:53 UTC 2008

HI All,

Need some advice...  I deleted the dhcp.leases and dhcp.leases~ files
from both my DHCP servers which are configured to fail over to each
other. I am not doing DDNS (so that is not an issue yet).

I was certain that by starting from scratch with two empty lease files,
I would be OK. That turned to be a bad assessment, I have tried starting
the two servers and they go into a recovery mode and no leases are
issued to requests.  I have 4 networks on 640+ schools and 20 floors
with 6 networks each.  I have waited as long as an hour for the recovery
process but I need to issue IP's.

Not really worried about duplicate IP's, since I am going to set my TTL
to 30 minutes.  so hopefully all the clients will get IP's by the end of
the weekend.

Is there a another file that I need to initialize or delete besides the
dhcp.leases and dhcp.leases~?

Thanks in advance.

Luis