dhclient and automatic fqdn.fqdn generation

Mela Custodining sessyargc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 23:20:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon at nominum.com> wrote:

> > fqdn.fqdn is just host-name + "." + domain-name + "." I tried doing this
> with
> > -----
> > send fqdn.server-update on;
> > send fqdn.fqdn concat(option host-name, ".", option domain-name, ".");
> > -----
>
> You're probably making more work for yourself than is strictly necessary.
> Most DHCP servers, including the Nominum server and the ISC server, will use
> the contents of the host-name option to construct an FQDN if you don't want
> to specify the whole domain name yourself.   So if you just write this in
> your dhclient.conf file, it should work:
>
>        send host-name "foo";
>
> The problem with what you're doing is that the fqdn is sent before the
> host-name and domain-name options have been set, because those are supplied
> by the server (at least as you've written it).

Let me try to clarify.
I'm setting this all up in the DHCP client (dhclient.conf file). My
dhclient.conf file contains a host-name setting and I want to concatenate
this host-name with the domain-name from the DHCP server (from the DHCPACK
packet).

Though from the first paragraph of your reply, it seems to make sense that
this isn't possible because DHCP (dhclient) has no way of evaluating the
value of domain-name because it hasn't received an ACK in the first place.

Regards,