cross compiling DHCP

dallas dallas at commverse.com
Tue Jun 3 16:46:20 UTC 2008

Hi Theo,

Thanks for your response.  I did manage to get things to
work after much trial and error.  This was one of the more
challenging open source packages I've worked with.

Anyway, I ended up implementing a wrapper Makefile to expand
the source image, configure it, build it, and install it.
Here is what it looks like:

        tar zxvf dhcp-$(DHCP_VERSION).tar.gz ;
        cd dhcp-$(DHCP_VERSION) && \
        ./configure \
        --prefix=$(ROOT_FS_IMAGE_DIR)/usr \
        --exec-prefix=$(ROOT_FS_IMAGE_DIR) \
        --build=$(BUILD) \
        --host=$(HOST) \
        CROSS_COMPILE=$(CROSS_COMPILE) \
        CC=$(CROSS_BIN)/$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc \
        "LIBS=-L$(RAC_LIB_DIR) -lcrypto" \
        RANLIB=$(RANLIB) \
        ac_cv_file__dev_random=no && \
        $(MAKE)

I was able to pass in some variables to ./configure that
were defined in a separate mak.inc which happened to be
applicable to other open source packages as well.

Hope this helps anyone struggling with cross-compiling.  It
does work just fine for a cross-compiled client.  I have not
actually verified that the server daemon is working properly
yet.

Thanks,
Dallas