DDNS - deny client-updates

LENNE Alexandre Alexandre.LENNE at sncf.fr
Wed Jun 4 14:42:02 UTC 2008

Hello everybody.

I have a question, it's about ddns.

I want to deny client-updates, but I'm not sure that it's work.

I mean that in my dhcpd.conf, I have:

ddns-update-style interim;

ddns-domainname "mydomain.org";

ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa";

ddns-updates on;

deny client-updates;

zone mydomain.org. {

      primary 192.168.10.1;

      }

zone 40.22.10.in-addr.arpa. {

      primary 192.168.10.1;

      }

host external {

      hardware ethernet 00:16:17:xx:xx:xx;

      fixed-address 192.168.10.15;

      ddns-hostname "testddns";

}

This host in a windows XP one.

The "Register this connection's address in DNS" box is checked (in
Network Connections, Properties, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Properties,
Advanced, DNS).

"Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration" is cleared.

But, on my DNS server (Windows 2003, accepts secure and nonsecure
dynamic updates), there are new entries with the real hostname, and not
"testddns".

Why ?

How can I check if the client can't really update dns ?

How can I check if these entries come from dhcp server? (because,
actually, i think that they come from client, because of the name).

If I clear the "Register this connection's address in DNS" box, there is
nothing on my dns server (no entry).

So I think that the problem comes from my dhcpd.conf.

Any Idea?

Thank you for your help!

Alexandre LENNE