information about authentication with DHCP server

Barr Hibbs rbhibbs at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 10 00:02:35 UTC 2008

Werner--

as far as I know, there are NO implementations of DHCP Authentication,
despite it being defined with a relatively mature RFC (in the sense that
after an initial flurry of discussion, there were no updates offered,
suggesting that (1) the RFC was solid as written, or (2) no one cared about
implementations.  As with any authentication system, the principle problem
is key distribution, and no scalable method was ever offered to support
client Authentication.

Many organizations authenticate *USERS* through RADIUS, which is
significantly easier to scale, while some substitute Wireless Access Point
and Router client MAC address filters for *CLIENT* authentication.  The
former is an established, mature protocol for user authentication and has
many implementations and management tools.  Managing client MAC address
filters for Wireless Access Points and Routers has an even worse scalability
problem than simple key distribution to a client, although I have heard
admins boast (or complain?) that they were using it in their networks.

I am curious what you learn in your investigations.

--Barr