DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Jun 11 21:35:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:02:13PM -0700, David W. Hankins wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 05:20:49PM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> > a simple game...  remove IPv4 addresses for DNS Nameservers.
> >
> > in the bad old days:
> >
> > option domain-name-server 192.168.10.53;
> >
> > worked a treat... so today we try...
> >
> > option domain-name-server 3ffe::53;
>
> that won't parse.  i have a strong suspicion that you meant to spend
> a fortnight reading manual pages (you want 'man dhcp-options', and
> you wanted to read the 'STANDARD DHCPV6 OPTIONS' section and not the
> 'STANDARD DHCPV4 OPTIONS' section you are quoting) and coming to the
> conclusion that you should set a DHCPv6 scoped configuration parameter
> thus;
>
>   option dhcp6.name-servers 3ffe::53;
>
> if you wanted it to appear in a DHCPv6 packet.

	er... not what I want.  I want to tell my v4 clients that
	it is ok to use a v6 address for DNS resolution.  They are
	going to have v6 via other means - but RA/ND won't tell them
	about their nameservers...

	when I want to do DHCPv6, I'll get there, and when I do,
	I expect I'll want to tell my DHCPv6 clients about an
	IPv4 address that they might want to use for DNS resolution.

> the config language works on a system of "option spaces", where each
> space represents one unique mapping of names to option codes, and
> holds important information like knowing the code width and length
> width of that option space (being 1, 2, or 4 octets).

	just like the busted cisco model for routing. :)

> but possibly there should be a warning, because you're not the first
> to try this, and i doubt any of the above is an adequate justification
> for things being less simple than they could be.

	and I won't be the last...  for the reasons specified above.

> if you think you're confused now, wait until you can run both v4 and
> v6 protocols from one daemon and config file.

	that might be my next trick, if only to get me where I
	want to go - getting DNS resolver data into the end hosts.