DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Jun 12 00:57:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:45:42AM +0000, Evan Hunt wrote:
> > 	i don't -want- to distribute IPv6 addresses, I want
> > 	DHCP to populate the nodes resolv.conf file w/ IPv6
> > 	addresses for the site nameservers.
>
> This is a good idea, but someone's gonna have to write a draft.  The
> Domain Name Server option doesn't specify address format; there'd be
> no way to tell the difference between a single IPv6 address and four
> IPv4 addresses.

	if the name server option doesn't specify an address format,
	then your home free...  a couple of ways to tell:

	whats the separator inside the string?  if ":" then == v6
	if "." then == v4

	and addresses inside the nameserver option are separated by
	comma -right?  and the list ends w/ a semi-colon.

	in the mean time, since I'm already farting about in the code,
	I'll give the man page suggestion a whirl.

	has anyone ever -tried- this:

	option domain name server 239.254.197.10;

	to see what happens?  as a multicast address, I will have to
	stand up several nameservers that talk DNS on that address
	and see how confused the client gets  (with demonstrably inchoerant
	data in each of the nameservers)

--bill