DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

Ralph Droms rdroms at cisco.com
Thu Jun 12 10:10:11 UTC 2008

We've had variants of this discussion in the dhc WG.  The problem was
mentioned - I think by Bill - in this thread: how does the client deal
with information from multiple sources?  In this case, does the client
merge the list of DNS servers from the two DHCP sources into the local
DNS server list (e.g., resolv.conf).  What about manually configured
information - is it overridden or retained?  How is the information
updated; suppose the same server is both manually configured and
learned through DHCP, and then that server drops from the DHCP list?

The WG has concluded these issues are really best left to the client
implementation, as there is no way to describe and dictate a global
policy around this problem.

BTW, the discussion might be a good one to take up on the dhc WG
mailing list...

- Ralph