DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 16:03:34 UTC 2008

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

>	what I want is for the domain nameservrer option to do what
>	is advertized... to pass a list of IP addresses to the client.
>
>	it doesn't in the ISC code.  It selectively presumes to know
>	better than the person writing the config file what valid
>	IP addresses for domain name servers are.

No, the ONLY allowable contents for the option AS IT WAS DEFINED AND
CLIENTS ARE CODED TO is one or more FOUR BYTE IPv4 addresses. It's
not the ISC "selectively presuming" to know better, it's them only
allowing you to configure what can actually be put in the option.
They CANNOT put an IPv6 address in there as it isn't a format
supported by the option and clients will simply see it as FOUR IPv4
addresses.