DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

Evan Hunt Evan_Hunt at isc.org
Thu Jun 12 16:22:57 UTC 2008

> If, as asserted elsewhere in this thread, the IP address string to be
> returned is unspecified

But it *is* specified; I quoted the RFC.  Look at it again, and note the
diagram, where "Address 1" and "Address 2" are labeled, and are exactly
four octets apart, and the second paragraph where it says the option
length MUST be a multiple of four.  It's true (and actually a little
surprising to me) that the authors neglected to state explicitly that
this is a list of IPv4 addresses in network byte order... but the
context really doesn't leave any other possible interpretation.

(I think I may have said earlier that the address family isn't specified
in the option--apologies if that caused any confusion.  I didn't mean
"not specified in the RFC", I meant there's no field in the option for
telling the client what address family you're talking about.)