DHCPv6-4.1.mumble

Evan Hunt Evan_Hunt at isc.org
Thu Jun 12 19:22:22 UTC 2008

> Of course it could be made to work, but it's not clear to me that it'd
> be worth the effort, since the primary reason for doing it is to avoid
> having to run a DHCPv6 client.

IMHO, a not-unreasonable thing to want to avoid, especially with the
current state of the software.

I've been working, in a low-priority background process, on a better
multi-stack DHCP client that would make it easier to do this.  But at
present you have to configure and run two dhclients at once and make
sure they don't step on each other--enough of a headache that I
thoroughly understand Bill's frustration.

Even if the software were easier to run this way, I still can see an
argument for providing some IPv6 information over DHCPv4 (just as DNS
can provide AAAA records to IPv4 querants).  It's common, and will be
more so in time, for IPv4 and IPv6 addresses to co-reside in resolv.conf,
and people often use DHCPv4 to populate resolv.conf.

(This probably ought to be on the WG list instead of dhcp-users though.)

                                        eh