What Exactly Causes "uid lease" Messages?

Barr Hibbs rbhibbs at pacbell.net
Sat Jun 14 16:15:48 UTC 2008

It is a generally-accepted practice that a DHCP client
SHOULD send a Client Identifier in all messages for a
server, but it is NOT a "MUST" requirement.  Most modern
DHCP server implementations prefer a Client Identifier over
MAC address for identifying client leases (the RFC
specifically requires that), but their ways of handling
multiple requests or conflicts differ by implementation.
DHCPD is fully-compliant with the RFC and has proven
repeatedly that it will interoperate successfully with
nearly all clients.

--Barr