Lease file not getting cleaned out

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 17:43:27 UTC 2008

Dallas Clement wrote:

>I'm seeing some strange behavior with the lease file in DHCP
>4.1.  It's not getting cleaned out when there is a lease
>renewal.  Things accumulate over time.  I'm renewing the
>lease every 5 minutes.  This is what it looks like:
<snip>

Define "over time" ?

The leases file is a log file - it is append only and is NEVER
modified. Periodically, a fresh copy is written from memory and
swapped into place to replace the previous copy. After this process
has run (default is 1 hour on 3.x) then the older leases will be gone.

If "over time" is shorter than the maintenance cycle, then what you
are seeing is correct.