Cisco ASA 5520 and DHCP relay

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Fri Mar 14 11:38:52 UTC 2008

>Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:06:49 +0200
>From: Eimantas Zdanevičius <eimantas at occ.lt>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: Cisco ASA 5520 and DHCP relay
>
>Hello all,
>
>I find configuration error in asa acl. There was no accept rule for
>255.255.255.255:68.
>And now linux gets its ip address. I cant belive that windows gets its
>ip addres when there was no 255.255.255.255:68 accept rule in asa.
>
>Only one thing now is that i cant resolve domain names into ip.
>if i type 'ping www.google.com', my laptop try to resolve
>'www.google.com.mydomain.com'.
>Where i need to search for misconfiguration: dhcp server, dhcprelay or
>dhcp client?

On the client what is in /etc/resolv.conf? Is it getting created
by the dhcp client? What dhcp client are you using? dhclient, or
something else?

What setings do you have in dhcpd.conf for domain name servers?

If neither of these is helpful, then using tcpdump or wireshark
to look at the packets on the network may give some clues.

regards,
-glenn