BootP and Many Unhappy Cisco Light weight Access Points

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Mar 25 18:27:59 UTC 2008

	We set up several private networks to put our Cisco
wireless Access points in. None of these networks have DHCP
lease pools so each AP has a bootP entry. When an AP does a
DHCPDISCOVER, we see a "no free leases" message from the DHCP
server even though there is a bootP entry for the AP. This may
be due to the fact that we are also using HSRP or Hot Stable
Routing Protocol on these networks. As it stands now, we have
one address listed in each network as a router

option routers 10.196.83.254;

	The DHCP server sees packets randomly on 2 or 3
different addresses for the DHCPDISCOVER and may be getting
confused on how to answer.

	The address we list as the router is a virtual address
that is occupied by which ever of the 2 real routers is
available.

	Eventually, and we are not sure how this happens, the
bootP lookup works and the AP is on for a while. A few minutes
later, it has gotten its download from the AP controller and
reboots again only to get lost and so on and so forth.

	Do we need to put all the routers in the
option routers statement? This kind of defeats the redundancy in
the HSRP.

	Has anybody else had this problem?

	Ideas are appreciated.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK